Thursday, February 18, 2010

Work Frustrations

Nobody wants to listen to anyone else whine about work. They certainly don't want to read a blog post about it. But hear me out on this one, it's kinda funny.

So I'm quitting smoking again for the 7,355th time after the Great Annual February Relapse. I also know that I'm finally leaving this wretched job in a few months. This means two things: I'm cranky as hell and I have zero tolerance for the bullshit that goes on here anymore.

Take yesterday for example. My wonderful management team volunteered me to take on some data entry work from one of the secretaries. They did this because this particular secretary is not what we would call "bright". And she was taking forever to process our documentation, thus slowing down payments, thus preventing us from meeting monthly goals and blah blah blah. I didn't really care too much at the time. The work was pretty minimal and anyone who has any Excel proficiency could complete it in about seven minutes.

I finished up the spreadsheets yesterday and left them on a shared network drive. All the secretary had to do was go into the folder and pick up the completed spreadsheets and email them to someone. I thought I would make it really easy for her. I made a folder called 2-17, that being yesterday's date, and put my completed spreadsheets in there. The blank templates were in the folder containing the 2-17 folder.

Imagine if you will. You've got a folder. In that folder are three files Template1.xls, Template2.xls and Template3.xls. There is also a folder called 2-17. Allow one of my patented MsPaint renderings to elucidate the situation for you:
When I'm done, I tell the secretary, we'll call her Sally, that the files are ready.

"Hey Sally, files are in the shared network drive, in the spreadsheets folder. I put a folder called 2-17, for the date, in there. Today's spreadsheets are in that folder. Thanks."

"Oh great Greg that's great. Can you put them on my C drive?"

"No Sally. I can't. The C drive is your har...never mind. I can't. They're on the network drive, in the spreadsheets folder, in the 2-17 folder. Thanks."

"Oh great Greg that's great."

Five minutes later.

She comes over to my desk and starts asking me for the documentation to complete the spreadsheets. She's going to have to do them again because mine are "coming over blank."

"You're sure you're not opening the templates?"

"No, they're coming over blank."

"Files can't come over...never mind. You're definitely opening the files in the 2-17 folder?"

"Yeah they're coming over blank."

At this point I just want to throw my monitor across the room, storm out smoking half a pack of cigarettes while giving everyone the finger. But, I calmly walk over to her computer with her.

"Ok, show me what you're doing."

And the fucking idiot clicks on the template.

No comments:

Post a Comment